If you have been accused of assault, then it may feel like your whole world is crashing down. Regardless of the actions involving the arrest, you may feel like, in one minor act of weakness, you have managed to effectively ruin your life forever. This is not the case at all. In fact, with a professional Minnesota assault defense lawyer, you may be able to walk away without a conviction or any criminal record. You just need to stay calm. Here is a five-step checklist of how to handle an assault arrest with civility for the best possible outcome:
Five Factors to Your Assault Arrest
1) Keep your emotions in check. This is easier said than done. You may be feeling a whole whirlwind of emotions from rage and anger to embarrassment and shame. You may feel the need to scream for injustice or you may feel the need to cry. Try to remain as stable as possible. Your emotional reaction could be used against you in the court of law. Your anger could be used as evidence of your ability to explode while your tears could be seen as a conviction of guilt.
2) Do not make the situation any worse. Do not try to contact the accuser or threaten them. You may be so angry that you want to explode but showing this anger will only make matters worse. You need to simply take the arrest in stride and try to remain as neutral as possible.
3) Keep your mouth shut. It might be tempting to defend yourself to the police by explaining your side of the story. However, it’s best to remain quiet until there is a lawyer present. You may accidently say something that incriminates you or goes against your defense. You will have your time to speak when your lawyer is there.
4) Remain as civil and normal as possible. Try to go about your life as if nothing has happened. Although you may feel like the whole world is watching your every move, this is actually not the case. Go to work, attend social events, visit with friends and family and leave the rest to your lawyer.
The Final Factor
5) Be completely honest with your criminal defense attorney. Your best defense in an assault case is your criminal lawyer so make sure you are completely upfront about everything and anything pertaining to the case. There are a number of alternative defenses you can use in assault cases; the best way to know which will work for you is to know the entire truth surrounding the incident.
When to Contact a Minnesota Assault Lawyer for Help
It is best to get the help you need as soon as possible right after your arrest. This will give your criminal defense lawyer to meet with you, hear your side of the story, interview witnesses and gather key evidence for your case. Judith Samson is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact her first at 612-333-8001 for a free initial consultation regarding your assault accusation.