Minneapolis Marijuana Crimes Defense Lawyer
A marijuana crime may not seem like a significant offense, especially if you are in possession of a small amount and the charge is classified as a misdemeanor. However, even a misdemeanor can result in a criminal record that could influence your future. Marijuana crimes can also be classified as felonies and that can result in years in prison and high fines. If you or a loved one has been charged with a marijuana crime, representation by an experienced Minneapolis marijuana crimes defense lawyer can make a difference in the outcome of the case.
Judith A. Samson is a highly-experienced defense attorney that will fight for your rights and your future. Even when you feel there is no hope, there are strategies that can be used to obtain the best possible result in the case.
Fighting Marijuana Crime Charges In Minnesota
Minnesota and the federal government consider marijuana to be a Schedule I controlled substance. This means it is highly regulated. Possession and sale of the drug are prohibited. Manufacturing and cultivation of marijuana are considered a felony. While Minnesota law is somewhat more lenient when it comes to possession, it cracks down on possession of large quantities and the manufacturing of the drug.
If someone is found in Minneapolis, St. Paul, or anywhere around Minnesota selling marijuana then they could be charged with a felony-level offense. The exact consequence is determined by the quantity of the drug sold, to whom it was sold, and where it was sold. Here is a breakdown of the different marijuana charges:
- Fifth-degree sale of a controlled substance up to 5 kg.
- Fourth-degree sale of a controlled substance of any amount of marijuana in a park zone, school zone, or drug treatment facility.
- Third-degree sale of a controlled substance of up to 25 kg of marijuana.
- Second-degree sale of a controlled substance of up to 50 kg of marijuana or 5 kg in a treatment facility, park, or school zone.
- First-degree sale of a controlled substance of up to 50 or more kg of marijuana or 25 kg or more in a treatment facility, park, or school zone.
- Fifth-degree possession of a controlled substance of up to 10kg of marijuana but less than 42.5 grams.
- Third-degree possession of a controlled substance of up to 50 kg of marijuana.
- Second-degree possession of a controlled substance of up to 100 kg.
- First-degree possession of a controlled substance of 100 kg or more.
Fighting For Your Future
Possession of an amount of marijuana less than 42.5 grams has been decriminalized in Minnesota. Quantities greater than 42.5 can result in some kind of punishment. Sometimes the punishment can be limited to the payment of a fine. In the case of a felony marijuana crime, the penalty can be years in prison and high fines. As a committed Minneapolis marijuana crimes defense lawyer, Judith Samson has fought for clients throughout the Twin Cities and has established a track record of satisfactory results.
Contact A Minneapolis Marijuana Crimes Defense Lawyer
Marijuana may be seen as harmless, but possessing, selling, distributing, manufacturing, and trafficking the controlled substance is considered a crime in Minnesota. If you or a loved one has been charged with a marijuana-related drug crime, it is important to seek the representation of an experienced drug charge defense attorney who knows how to get results. To learn more about how Judith A. Samson, Attorney At Law can help you, call 612-333-8001 to request a free consultation.